Editor’s Note: If you’d like to listen to my Guest DJ appearance, you can get the MP3 or zip file by using the links below:
To download the MP3, click here
To download a zip file of the recording, click here
To check out my official Guest DJ page, click here
As I mentioned in a previous post, I had the opportunity to be the Guest DJ at CD102.5 on April 4th from 1-2pm. For those unfamiliar with CD102.5, it is one of the last independent stations around and is generally awesome. And for those unfamiliar with what the Guest DJ is, it’s exactly like it sounds. They let a person on the air for an hour to play their list of songs.
The Guest DJ process starts by submitting a list of 10-12 songs to the station and then being selected. One of my favorite things in Columbus is the Big Room Brunch on Sunday mornings from 9-11. It’s hosted by Ed Francis and is two hours of songs that were recorded acoustically in the CD102.5 Big Room. I love grabbing a cup of coffee, the Sunday Dispatch and listening to the Brunch.
Since I’m such a fan of The Brunch, I thought it would be fun to submit a list of all Big Room Brunch songs. I compiled my list of 10 songs and sent it in to CD102.5.
Seven days later, I received an email from Brian Phillips asking if I would be available on 4/4 to be the Guest DJ. I quickly replied a resounding ‘yes’ to which he replied I should think of a couple more songs to complete the hour.
When the day came, I updated my list and headed to the station with my main man Jonny-Boy. We stopped at Wendy’s and then went to the station. I checked in at reception and they showed us to the basement where I met some of the D.J.’s and received the outline of my hour. I read through it and was good to go.
My time on the air started with two of my songs being played, then Brian introducing me and doing a quick interview. From there, it was my hour to play and introduce the music.
My set list and some of why I selected the songs are below:
- Ben Kweller – Thirteen – Quite possibly my favorite song ever and why I love The Big Room. I still remember hearing it for the first time and thinking how much I hope to feel that way about someone. I made a push to have this be the song of our first dance at my wedding but wasn’t successful.
- Pete Yorn – Closet – I’m a big Pete Yorn fan and this is my favorite song of his. This is off the album ‘Music for the Morning After‘
- The Airborne Toxic Event – Sometime Around Midnight – Another one of my favorites. This is also on my running mix so I get to hear it a lot.
- Death Cab for Cutie – Cath – I love that this song was inspired by a book (even if the book was horrible).
- Sea Wolf – Wicked Blood – I like how this song builds in intensity as it goes on (ember in the rafters). I also have this on my running mix.
- Grouplove – Tongue Tied – I originally wanted ‘Itchin’ on a Photograph’ but they had never performed that song in the Big Room so Tongue Tied was my second choice.
- Tegan and Sara – Nineteen – Next up was a double exposure of Tegan and Sara. I choose Nineteen because it expresses how intense and fast young love can be. I also really like angry chick music.
- Tegan and Sara – The Con
- Metric – Help I’m Alive – Another one of my running songs.
- Franz Ferdinand – No You Girls – I originally wanted ‘Do you Want To’ but wasn’t available. ‘No You Girls’ was a good second choice. This came from my running mix as well.
- Keane – Somewhere Only We Know – I wanted ‘Crystal Ball’ because that song is awesome, but sadly wasn’t available. Somewhere Only We Know was the next best Keane song.
- Of Monsters and Men – Dirty Paws – My wife and I say that this is Tobey and Lili’s song every time it comes on the radio so I wanted to play it and dedicate to the Superfriends.
In the end, I was amazed how fast the hour went and how much fun it was. I want to thank Jonny-Boy for taking the pics and coming along for moral support, thanks to Brian Phillips for selecting my playlist and a huge thanks to CD102.5 for being awesome and giving me this opportunity.
If you have any thoughts on my hour on the radio or want a leave a general note, please use the box below.