Opening day is nearly here! The Minnesota Twins open at 4:10pm versus the Detroit Tigers on April 1. For those who don’t follow baseball, the Twins are coming off consecutive last place finishes in the their division. In 2011 they won a grand total of 63 games and in 2012 only won 66. This year doesn’t look to be much better with Vegas putting the estimated win total at a robust 68.5 wins.
Part of the beauty of opening day is that anything can happen for one game. The Twins are facing the odds-on favorite to win the division in the Tigers. Detroit will be pitching Justin Verlander. He’s not only the best pitcher in the league, but also won the MVP two years ago making him the best player in the league. The odds are not in the Twins favor, but like so many things in life… hope springs eternal. If Baltimore and Oakland could compete last year, anything can happen. With that said, here are a few things I’m looking forward to this year.
- Watching Joe Mauer play
- Listening to and watching Vin Scully, Bob Uecker and Charlie Steiner via the MLB.tv package
- Seeing if the Twins can get any value from trading Justin Morneau or Josh Willingham at the trade deadline
- Watching Trevor Plouffe and Aaron Hicks development (I think Plouffe is going to have another breakout year)
- Watching Glen Perkins and Jared Burton
- Reading the great Aaron Gleeman and Joe Posnanski (who can also be found at http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/)
Another one of my favorite things about baseball season is listening to the Gleeman and the Geek podcast for their annual Over/Under predictions. I thought it may be fun to jot down their predictions and join in with some of my friends. The plan is to check back at the end of the year with how everyone did. If we were in Vegas, my top picks would be the under on the Twins and Red Sox and the over on the Rays. With that said, below are the over/under predictions (Note: on the podcast, Bonnes said he was confident about 5, but I only counted 4).
If you have anything you’re looking forward to for the upcoming MLB season or want to get in on the over/under fun please feel free to drop a note in the comments.