First let me say, I love the internet. I think we all do. What I don’t like is whenever someone expresses an opinion there are instantly trolls who try to argue and insult. I just received the below comment on my rant about how Burt Blyleven is a horrible announcer (I’m currently watching the Twins game, but listening to the Baltimore announcers because I can’t handle the same catch phrases over and over again… I get it… people get circled). Anyway, the comment made me literally laugh out loud because I could do a better job than Burt. Coomer did a better job in the series in Boston. Tom Kelly does a better job any time he subs in. As I’m listening to this, the Baltimore announcers are more enjoyable than Burt. My point is still valid, that rejecting advanced statistics and railing against them shows how out of touch Blyleven is. I really don’t care if he’s replaced, because with the MLB package, I can always listen to the visitors feed, or on certain days, I can listen to Dan Gladden on the radio feed while watching the video feed.
Anyway, I thought the comment was hilarious.
If you want to rip into me for anything I’ve written without actually reading it (My entire point was without advanced statistics, Burt Blyleven never would have been elected to the hall of fame), feel free to drop a note in the comments.
I love baseball and I love the Minnesota Twins. I remember growing up in Minnesota and my parents taking me tons of Twins games at the Metrodome. I remember reading the Star Tribune every chance I could reading the box scores and collecting baseball cards. For the second year in a row, I’ve purchased the mlb.tv package so I can watch every out of market game (I’m still confused how Pittsburgh is considered a local market in Columbus, OH, but the idiotic black out rules are another post). So far I’ve either watched or listened to on the radio all but one Twins game this year. Below are my quick-hit thoughts.
- Burt Blyleven (one of the Twins announcers) is absolutely horrible. I’m not sure how much more I can take. In today’s broadcast, he went on a rant how he doesn’t believe in sabermetrics. For those unfamiliar, sabermetrics is a way to look at baseball beyond the normal statistics of batting average, wins and saves and assign more meaning statistics to determine a players true value. The fact that Burt is against this shows how out of touch he is with the game. It’s even more ridiculous because without the advanced statistics, he wouldn’t have had a chance at the hall of fame. Burt makes it painful to watch the Twins with the sound on. This is equivalent to the middle ages to someone saying they don’t believe that the world is round or a world war 1 fighter saying he doesn’t believe in jet planes. I don’t understand how obtaining knowledge is a bad thing and the fact that he is ‘against’ it…. good lord…. I’m at a loss for words. Get him out of the booth. This could be an entire series of blog posts my disdain for Burt.
- Anthony Swarzak is still super depressing to watch pitch. He looks like he’s miserable any time he enters the game or warms up. For my initial reaction to watching him last year…. click here.
- Joe Mauer is amazing. It is an absolute joy to watch him play. He’s currently in the zone getting a hit in 7 of his last 8 at bats. It’s ridiculous to think that some people in Minnesota continue to boo him whenever he comes to the plate.
- The pitching staff has looked good so far, but I have a feeling it’s going to go south once the weather warms up.
- Since the team isn’t going to make the playoffs, a part of me wishes Ben Revere were still with the team. Even though it was it was the right move to make for the long term health of the Twins, there isn’t a more exciting player than Ben Revere.
- Aaron Hicks has looked lost at the plate. I like that the Twins have moved him down in the lineup and really hope he pulls it together because he can be a piece of the rebuilding. I think perhaps he could benefit from some time at AAA, but at this point, the Twins aren’t going to win the division so as long as he doesn’t lose all confidence, what difference (other than service time) does it make if he stays with the Twins.
If you have any Twins thoughts or want to rant about how horrible Burt Blyleven is, please drop a note in the comments.
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged Aaron Hicks, Anthony Swarzak, Ben Revere, bert blyleven Sucks, Burt Blyleven horrible, Columbus, columbus OH, Get Rid of Burt Blyleven, Joe Mauer, Metrodome, Minnesota Twins, MLB Blackout, MN Twins, Twins